Saturday, January 29, 2011

You win some, you lose some...

...and today, I lost.

Whitney and I set out to do our long run, like we do on most Saturdays. We had 18 miles to get in and we chose the Capital Crescent trail since we were told it was plowed and snow free. I'm not sure if it was the weather, the hard swim practices I had this week, or if I was still recovering from my birthday weekend but I woke up with such sore knees and hips this morning.

Regardless, I suited up and we hit the trail. My knees loosened up and I was ok for the first 5 miles or so. As we continued to run, my right knee continued to ache and bother me. Whitney's knee was bothering her as well. It must be because we both don't have a meniscus in our right knee. We pushed forward as much as we could, but when we got to 10 miles we both decided to call it quits and jog/hobble back to the car about a mile away.

We both were disappointed that we decided to quit before 18 miles, but we agreed that it was for the best to stop to avoid injury. So after stretching, icing, and lots of ibuprofen this afternoon I have mentally reset to tackle 20 miles next weekend...if my knees cooperate :)

One bad run so far in the 9 weeks of marathon training...not too bad. Hopefully it is the last one because there is only 5 weeks left until the marathon!



1 comment: