Sunday, August 22, 2010

Team Z Kickoff

Yesterday I had the kickoff meeting for Team Z- an Arlington based triathlon team- I talked about them a few posts ago. But just to recap- they make triathlon a team sport. They are a supportive group of 400 triathletes that work out together, and cheer each other on at races. The team comes up with "team races" for the season and for those races they set up tents and a trailer and tailgate while they cheer people into the finish. It is like you have your own personal cheering section! AND they have burgers and beer for team members and their friends and family. So when I drag my parents to the races, they can at least hang out in a shaded tent and drink beer while I am racing.

...back to the kickoff meeting...

Coach Ed, the owner/head of the team, talked to us about where we currently stand athletically and what our triathlon goals are going forward. There are people on the team of every athletic ability. From what we said, he suggested which "track" of training we should follow.

There are three tracks:
1. Under 70.3 for those who want to only compete in shorter distance triathlons
2. 70.3 for those who want to compete in half Ironmans
3. 140.6 for those who want to cross the finish line at a full Ironman race

I told Ed that I can already bike several miles, run several miles, yet could barely swim the distance of 3 pool lengths. I also told him I wanted to compete in a half Ironman in 2011 and then maybe a full Ironman in 2012. His response was "You could easily be ready for an Ironman next year. We will have you do a marathon during the off season, you can do half ironman races in the summer, and hit your training peak next November for the Ironman that the team is racing together"

A FULL IRONMAN. 2.4 mile swim. 112 mile bike ride. 26.2 mile run. It is a race that can last anywhere from 10 to 17 hours. I told him I would think about it.

So I am thinking about it.  I think I may do it.

The team picked Iroman Cozumel as their goal race in 2011. At least the race would be in a location where after the race my family and I can spend the next 7 days laying in the sunshine sipping mojitos. Emphasis on laying...because I probably would not be able to walk after a 140.6 mile race.

I'll let you know if I decide to take on the challenge. Do you think I should? leave a comment!

3 comments:

  1. I think you should do it! :-) Mostly because I'm doing it too, but also because the Ironman group on Team Z is a really fun way to meet folks and have people to train with. There will be people of all abilities/skills and it'll be fun to help each other along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cozumel is asking to get dominated. DO IT.

    ReplyDelete